Procedures and Syllabi for Independent Study/Research Practicum/Directed Study Projects/Teaching Apprenticeship - common designations: Engl 498 and Engl 499
- These courses will not be approved after the 10th day of classes.
- Independent Studies should be on topics/subjects not covered by courses offered and they cannot substitute for existing courses.
- Student secures permission from a faculty member to register for an independent study during the regular semester prior to the semester during which he or she wishes to enroll.
- The faculty member and student discuss the basic parameters for the independent study or internship including: focus, specific nature of the work, project or topic, number of credits, course readings and deliverables.
- The faculty member gives the student a copy of the program's syllabus.
- Student submits 499 rationale to Program Leader, Pavithra Narayanan (email@example.com) for approval.
- After PL approves the 499, student completes and submits the online Student/Teacher Assignment and Class Change Form.
- Faculty member will forward email electronic approval to Lindy Volk (firstname.lastname@example.org) giving permission to enroll student.
- CASAC professional advisor or designated staff member enters the permission into myWSU.
- CASAC professional advisor notifies the student when the permission has been cleared.
- Student can then register for the course or, as appropriate, be registered by the CASAC professional advisor.
Link to CAS's independent study protocol: http://cas.vancouver.wsu.edu/casac/independent-studyinternship-form-protocol
- Film Literature Independent Study Syllabus (PDF)
- Creative Writing Independent Study Syllabus (PDF)
- Teaching Apprenticeship Independent Study Syllabus (PDF)
- Independent Study Syllabi Supplement (PDF)
- Supplementary form for Independent Study (PDF)
For more information contact Dr. Pavithra Narayanan