As the only college in Southwest Washington to offer a bachelor’s degree in social sciences, WSU Vancouver balances the research emphasis of a large university with the commitment to teaching of a small liberal arts college. If you would like to investigate the nature of society and how its structures and institutions affect individuals, this program gives you a lot of options.
If your interests in the social sciences span multiple disciplines, the bachelor’s degree in social science is for you. Courses explore the relationship between the individual and society, including social, political, economic and religious institutions, and examine the nature and causes of social change. Courses also introduce the data behind the concepts, theories, principles and laws underlying those institutions.
Career paths for combined skills
Social science majors pursue a wide variety of careers. Because their studies are broad and diverse, they are often better prepared to change careers or to advance in a field when advancement requires combining skills.
Alumni have succeeded in many fields, such as business, law, international services, politics and government, social work, sports management, teaching and more.
“As a nontraditional student, I have been able to design my coursework to fit both my schedule and my interests. The broad range of classes available allowed me to tailor my program of study to fit with my career plans and gave me the ability to approach issues and topics from multiple perspectives.”
—Sociology undergraduate student
With a bachelor’s degree in social sciences from WSU Vancouver, you will be able to:
- Integrate knowledge from the arts, humanities, social science and the sciences and apply them to real life scenarios.
- Demonstrate the ability to search, select, analyze and use information to solve current societal challenges.
- Obtain, assimilate and use quantitative information in a variety of ways.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and effectively.
- Realize the impact and importance to society of ethics, aesthetics and diversity.
For more information, contact Lindy Volk at email@example.com or 360-546-9475.