Welcome to WSU Vancouver’s Online Writing Lab (OWL)! This free service is provided for WSU Vancouver students who are unable to come directly into the writing center for a consultation. The OWL is an easy and convenient way for students to get direct feedback on their writing or get answers to their questions about writing or the writing center via e-mail. Writing consultants give careful attention to all OWL papers and try to give timely responses. As with face to face consultations, the OWL is approached with a similar philosophy. OWL responses focus first on issues of larger concern such as content, purpose, and organization and move on to issues of sentence structure and grammar when necessary.
Feel free to submit any kind of writing assignment for any discipline. Depending on the type or length of the paper, OWL responses may vary in length and focus. However, any follow up questions or revised drafts are welcome for further response. Albeit via e-mail, the OWL seeks to provide the same thorough, fair, and honest responses that consultants give in face to face consultations. It is a way to keep the writing center connected to the university as well as accessible to all students.
How to use the OWL
- E-mail your paper as an attached Microsoft Word document to email@example.com.
- In the message of the e-mail please provide the following information:
- course and course number
- a brief summary of the assignment
- other questions or specifics that may help consultants give adequate feedback.
- Please allow a 48 hour response time for essays submitted to the OWL.
- If you request a specific consultant’s response please understand that this may include a delay and is also not always possible.
For any graduate dissertation or thesis please contact Kandy Robertson, our writing center coordinator. Additionally, please allow for a slightly longer response time for dissertation and thesis submissions.